Thursday, December 15, 2011

War Horse

I've already mentioned this over on Facebook, but I am very excited about several movies on their way to theaters- most especially War Horse based on the book by the same title. And, interestingly enough, the play.


I first took notice of the story after seeing it rack up Tony awards onstage in 2011; including the Tony for Best Play.  I was immediately drawn in by the beauty, originality and characterization of the horses with the historical background of World War I. The puppetry was so realistic and endearing that I was almost disappointed when I heard it was going to be made into a movie! However, as I do not plan to visit Broadway any time soon, I realized $10 at the Rave is my ticket to seeing the full length dramatization.

War Horse, Broadway

After seeing the teaser trailer, specifically the moment when the soldiers mount their horses in the wheat field as the music (by the ever-awesome John Williams) soars, I was brought to tears and realized that the film will be just as powerful as it's Broadway incarnation.

War Horse, the movie 
It warms my heart to see something like this; great art that teaches us the greater truths about ourselves as human persons (dedication, selflessness, honor, love); our connection with God's creatures, and the beauty, love and kindness that brings us through the worst of times.



 I've always loved horses, and period dramas, and military history. So- this is the movie for me. And the play for me. And a book I should probably read. If I can stop listening to the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment